This is the recipe for an apple cake which is quite different from the usual one.
I call it “Palermo style” because it is inspired by some apple pastry that are prepared in Palermo.
This cake is composed of three layers: yellow cream, apples and on top a thin layer of gelatin. This cake is particularly suited for summer and is (in my opinion) best served cold.
Preparation time: ~3 hours (+2 before being ready to be served)
- 300 gr. Flour
- 150 gr. Butter
- 6 Eggs
- 400 ml. Milk
- 265 gr. Sugar
- Vanilla essence
- 40 gr. Starch
- 3 Apples
- 1 Gelatin sheet
- Prepare the dough first:
- Melt 150 gr. of butter in a small pot (or in the microwave)
- In a large container, mix 300 gr. of flour, 100 gr. of sugar, 2 yolk of eggs and the melted butter.
- With you hands work the dough until it is solid and uniform.
- Put the dough in the fridge to rest for one hour.
- Now you will have wait, you cannot really continue the preparation until then…
- Once the dough is ready, grease the baking tin with a bit of butter.
- Shape the dough inside the baking tin by spreading in it uniformly on the bottom and on the sides of the tin.
- You can now start pre-heating the oven at 180°C.
- Let’s continue by preparing the yellow cream that will fill the cake:
- Mix the yolk of the eggs and the sugar (140 gr.) and whip them until they become homogenous.
- Add the starch to the mixture and keep whipping.
- Put the milk (400 ml.) in a pot and heat it up.
- When the milk is warm, add the mixture of eggs and keep whipping until it become dense.
- Remove from the stove and pour it inside the dough.
- Spread the cream so as to create a uniform layer.
- Cut the apples in thin slices and place them on top of the yellow cream. For a nicer appearance you can slightly overlap the slices.
- Bake the cake at 180°C for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down 15 minutes.
- The last step is to cover the inner part of the baked cake with gelatin:
- There are different ways to prepare gelatin. I typically use gelatin sheets:
- Put 1 gelatin sheet in cold water for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime heat 200 ml. of water and 25 gr. of sugar. Stir it frequently.
- Remove the sheet of gelatin and make sure to squeeze it to remove as much water as possible.
- Add the sheet to the warm water and stir it until it dissolve.
- Bring to boiling point and keep stirring for one minute.
- Pour the liquid over the apples until a uniform thin layer cover them completely.
- Let the cake rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Best served cold.